I have the pleasure of having three fathers in my life. My husband, Rob; my father-in-law, Bill; and my father, Garry. I’d like to tell you about them.
First off, Rob. When we were thinking about having kids, he always had to reassure me that I was going to be a great mother. To be honest, I never had the maternal clock. I never thought I wanted them, even when Rob and I got married I never thought we’d have kids. He did. He’s always known we’d be good parents. To him I’d like to say thank you! Abby and Rowan have been blessed with a father who gets down in the dirt with them, jumps on the trampoline, takes them to the beach and worships the ground they walk on! The feeling is mutual. Rob travels a lot with work, but when he’s home he’s a full time hands on father. I’ve never had to worry about sharing the load ever. He truly is a wonderful father and husband.
Next, Bill. My father-in-law is known in our house as the grandpa with hair. He’s the handy helper, jack of all trades and a fantastic bread maker. He’s always there to lend a hand even when we don’t ask. He wasn’t' so sure of the girls when they were wee, but now that they are little people, he’s in with both hands and feet. He’s a little bit nutty, has the crazy professor hair and the oddest humour (that my children understand) and because of all this; Abby and Rowan just adore him.
Finally my dad, Garry. What to say about my dad…simply; awesome. My dad isn’t a man of many words but without a doubt would do anything for his girls. All 5 of us. That’s my sisters Terrell and Meredith along with Abby, Rowan and me. My dad has a sense of humour like no other, he constantly makes me laugh. My girls call him grandpa without hair. Yup that’s how they distinguish them, with hair, without hair. It’s funny but true! They also refer to both my parents by where they live, the farm. “Can we go to the farm?” is how they say they want to see Grandpa Garry and Grandma Lee. To my kids, grandpa Garry rocks!
So as you can see I have 3 great father’s in my life. To the three of you, thank you!
I can’t make them all a cake as Bill and my dad live in Ontario. So for Rob I made him his favourite, Black Forest Cake. Yes, this is Rob on a golf course drinking Tim Horton’s coffee!
Recipe: Black Forest Cake a la Trilogy Edibles
Chocolate Yogurt Cake
For Two 6x 2-inch cakes (50-60mins)
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cups cocoa
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg
- 1 cup yogurt
- 6 ounces ( 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- Combine flour, cocoa, soda, powder and salt. Set aside.
- In mixer, cream butter. Add sugars and mix on low until creamy. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add flour mixture alternatively with the yogurt.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour into baking pans until cake tester comes out clean. About 50minutes
Cherry Filling: This filling I also use for my cherry pies!
- 2 cups tart cherries pitted
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp flour
- pinch salt
- Drain cherries in strainer over bowl. Keep the juice.
- In bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt.
- In heavy sauce pan, heat 3/4 cup reserved cherry juice over medium heat until it starts to steam.
- Add dry ingredients and bring to bowl. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add cherries. Gently stir in cherry juice. If too thick add more juice.
- Cool completely
- 2 cups whipping cream.
- Beat on high until it forms soft peaks. Add 2 tbsp sugar and continue until firmer peaks.
- Don’t beat too much or you’ll get sugary butter :)
- Cut cakes in half – you should have 4 layers.
- Layer cakes as follows: cake, cherries, cake, whip cream, cake, cherries, cake.
- Frost the cake with the remainder of the whip cream.
- Decorate as you like.
Thanks for looking!
Party Mindie Style
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Made by You Monday
Get Your Craft On
Tasty Tuesday Tidbits
Tuesday To Do Party
My Girlish Whims
Sweet Treat Thursday