Ok, another new idea for me here. I’m going to try and do a savory post on Monday’s. There are lots of fantastic savory treats out there! Today’s post is definitely a savory treat… butter chicken.
If you’ve ever tried Indian cuisine, Makhani Chicken or butter chicken is a staple. You can also buy the sauce in a jar at the grocery store. However, when we lived in Ottawa, I had the honour of having an amazing Indian woman take care of our children for daycare. Shally didn’t eat meat at all, but every now and then she would cook chicken for her family. And once a year she would make me homemade butter chicken for my birthday. It was an awesome treat that I would look forward too in the month that lead up to my birthday. Several of my friends have partaken in this treat as well and finally I asked for the recipe and now I’d like to share it with you. It is so easy but not for the diet conscious, I mean it does have butter in the recipe title.
Recipe: Butter Chicken
- 1 package of boneless/skinless chicken thighs cut up into small pieces
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt and spice for at least an hour.
- Cook in oven at 350 for about 15minutes (partially done)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger (I use a micro plainer and shave it really fine)
- 1 onion pureed (I leave this out b/c my hubby hates onions)
- 2 cups pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- chili powder to taste
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 cups heavy cream (like I said, not diet conscious worthy)
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves (if you can find them)
- In a 3 qt pot, melt butter and add onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add tomatoes, spices and honey. Bring to a low boil.
- Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add partially cooked chicken and simmer until done (15 minutes)
- Serve over rice and enjoy!!! really enjoy!!!! You’ll have a lot of left over sauce, it freezes really well.
Even my girls love this! I know they look tired but we just spent a couple hours in the pool.
Thanks for looking!
Get Your Craft On
Hearth & Soul
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday Tidbits
Let's Do Brunch
These Chicks Cook
What's on the Menu
Strut Your Stuff Thursdays
It's a Keeper
Full Plate Thursday
Catch a Glimpse