I saw these in one of the King Arthur Flour e-newsletters and knew I had to make my own. I also made them before all the rib trauma, but I’m starting to get back in the saddle so to speak!
It’s amazing what you take stock in when you are injured, or more precisely what you take for granted. My body hurt but still “ached” every time I saw another runner out doing what my body couldn’t. As I sit here and watch the men’s finals of the US Open tennis, I can’t wait to hit with a friend tomorrow. It’ll be gentle and slow, as the main goal is to test out the ribs. But I can’t freaking wait.
I also can’t wait to share these little “devils” with you. This is definitely for those who prefer more crust and less filling. It’s kind of like a pop-tart but soooooooooooooo much better! I used my favourite short crust but instead of using water to bring it together I used sour cream. Not going to lie, this may be my new favourite! Then I mixed up some blueberries and had myself an awesome little breakfast treat!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut up into small pieces
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a saucepan, heat the following ingredients until warm and thickened.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the butter into the flour/sugar/salt mixture. Make sure the butter still has some larger pieces, this makes the flakes.
- Add the sour cream until it just comes together.
- Remove from processor onto floured board and form into ball. Wrap in plastic and chill for an hour.
- After chilling and rollout to 1/8th inch thickness. Cut into squares.
- Put into pairs, on one side add dollop of blueberries. Cut small slits into the second piece and place over top. Use a fork to seal around the edges.
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with some sugar, bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let cool a bit and enjoy!
These are so yummy!
Now that I’m on the mend, I’m trying to be good too. So these were my last treat that I indulged in. I’m in a group of fellow bakers who have decided to take back control of sugar. I would like to inspire you to join me or not and make these really tasty treats :)
Thanks for looking!