Yup, another candy corn treat for the girls. They love love love them! I had to make a cake for an upcoming United Way Dessert Auction, which I’ll tell you about in another post, so I made some cupcakes.
I used my wonderful vanilla sponge recipe and then separated out two bowls and used Americolor gel food colouring and coloured them yellow and orange. I layered appropriately and baked. Then I topped with some vanilla buttercream and some chopped up candy corn. Et Voila!
Vanilla Sponge Recipe (makes 2, 8x2” rounds or 24 cupcakes):
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbls plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 large egg whites (3/4 cup if using liquid egg whites)
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg whites and vanilla.
- Alternate flour and milk into the butter.
- Mix until combined.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes
- Let cool.
- Ice with buttercream and top with candy corn!
Your kids will love it! I’m not sure Rowan chewed hers it went down so fast!
Thanks for looking!