Oh yeah, it’s the coldest it’s been all winter (22F or –5.5) and the girls decided that we should make ice cream sandwiches. Yes, I know, my kids are strange.
I’ve never tried making homemade vanilla ice cream before for two reasons. One I’m lazy and it seems s involved and two, it’s my favourite flavoured ice cream and I’d probably eat it all. But alas my kids asked and I’m weak to their treat day requests, so I made vanilla bean ice cream.
Oh but where to start. My friend Google never lets me down, so one quick search led me to one of my most favourite blogs. David Lebovitz’s wonderful food blog is oh so witty and has taught me some amazing new things. So when I saw his ice cream recipe come up first, I didn’t think twice and OMG it is to die for.
Then I made my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe and took two of the cookies and put some of the ice cream between and voila, home made ice cream sandwiches.
Super fun and super tasty!
Recipe: Vanilla Bean Ice Cream as adapted from David Lebovitz
- 1 cup milk
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- In medium saucepan, heat the milk, salt, sugar and vanilla bean paste until it starts to boil. Remove from heat and let sit until cool.
- Place cream in a bowl and place in an ice bath. Set aside.
- Pour milk mixture through a sieve to remove any solid pieces.
- Whisk eggs and slowly add the milk and continue until completely combined. Place on medium heat and continue to stir until the custard starts to thicken.
- Once thickened, strain into cream and combine.
- Place in fridge and chill overnight.
- Place into ice cream machine and freeze as per machines directions.
Then make your favourite chocolate chip cookies. Or use my recipe found here just use chocolate chips instead of white chips. Place a dollop of ice cream on one cookie and sandwich with another.
These are so so so good and as my sister says, ice cream is a year round treat!
Thanks for looking!