We’ve lived in Cary, NC for three years now and up until a few weeks ago didn’t have a really good breakfast spot. We had several favs in Ottawa but here, nada.
We were introduced to The Flying Biscuit and I am so glad we were. But now I crave the bloody biscuits every weekend and since that’s a little ridiculous and expensive, I scoured the internet for the recipe.
Jackpot!!!! I found the recipe and then I changed it because that’s what I do :) I took out the heavy cream and added buttermilk and then the half and half and added just 2% milk. I think I like these even more.
Recipe: Adapted from Epi Curious on Food.com
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder plus 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar plus 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup buttercream
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- This recipe can be done in one bowl (me likey that!!!)
- In the bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour until it looks like oatmeal.
- Add the buttercream and milk and fold until just combined. You don’t want to over knead, nobody likes a heavy biscuit.
- Roll the dough to an inch thickness and use a square cutter to cut out the biscuits.
- You can re-roll the left over dough, but just once. Again, you don’t want tough bickies.
- Brush the biscuits with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool a bit and enjoy!!!
These are awesome and now requested every weekend. They are flakey, buttery, and awesomesauce!!!!
Have a great rest of the weekend and thanks for looking!